Testing is never a relaxing experience and that’s why the upcoming CPC Assessment has created some anxiety for CRNAs. Thankfully, the duo behind APEX Live is working hard to help educate and prepare CRNAs through events, podcasting, and teaching. Jeremy Heiner EdD, CRNA and Sass Elisha EdD, CRNA, FAAN join us today to tell us more about the work they’re doing and then take us through some sample questions that might be found on the assessment.
Click the timestamps below to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
On This Episode:
Podcasting has become an incredible platform for education and the nursing industry has taken full advantage of the medium to keep growing the profession.
One show that we wanted to make sure you know about is APEX Live Anesthesia with hosts Jeremy Heiner EdD, CRNA and Sass Elisha EdD, CRNA, FAAN. These co-founders of APEX Live, an anesthesia review course that provides CEs and preparation for the CPC assessment, started this show a couple years ago to give CRNAs a place to listen and learn on their own time.
These two guys were generous enough to spend some time on our podcast to share the work they’re doing to help educate CRNAs. It’s a great conversation with a ton of insight into the assessment and they’ll even take us through some sample questions. This should be a beneficial episode for all nurse anesthetists.
As you get started on the episode, keep an ear out for these topics:
- How the podcast got started.
- How they’re using the concept of interleaving over block learning.
- Getting people prepared for the upcoming assessment.
- Why using humor is a key piece of their approach to teaching.
- Details and background on the APEX Live events they host.
- How do they develop their questions and do they have insight into the exam?
- We’ll run through example questions and test Sharon.
- Details on the crisis checklist they’ve created and you can access for free.
- The ways to connect with Jeremy and Sass and have them at your state conference to provide reviews.
- Lightning round!
Check it out the interview at the top of the page and use the timestamps to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
[3:45] – Introducing our guests today
[5:52] – Background on Jeremy and Sass, and the podcast
[9:48] – Educational goals for the podcast
[14:26] – Instilling confidence in testing
[19:38] – Using humor
[25:37] – APEX Live events
[31:22] – How they develop their questions
[33:44] – Sample questions
[37:30] – The four domains on the test
[38:08] – Test question
[42:33] – Crisis checklist
[50:28] – Test question
[57:42] – Ways to connect with Jeremy and Sass
[1:00:00] – Lightning round
“We say to our colleagues, we’re just going to dust off the cobwebs. All the information is there. We’re just going to move it back so that you can retrieve it and make it retrievable knowledge.”-Sass and Jeremy