Jeremy and Sharon took part in a panel discussion on incivility and bullying within the CRNA workplace and educational system. Speaking alongside members of the Nebraska Association of Nurse Anesthetists, they were able to dive into the core issues at the heart of this behavior from the perspective of both the student and the preceptor. Plus, they offered up solutions to help curb incivility and bullying.
Check out the timestamps below to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
On This Episode:
No one wants to come to a workplace where they’re more concerned about who they’ll be working with rather than what they’ll be working on. Yet this happens in nurse anesthesia because of bullying and incivility.
It’s not a behavior that’s exclusive to this profession, but it’s one that we want to help change. That’s why we took part in a recent panel on this topic with the Nebraska Association of Nurse Anesthetists and this episode will share that entire discussion with a great group of guests.
One eye-opening stat you’ll hear on the show is that 78% of nursing students in general have experienced bullying in nursing school. It’s a clear problem and one that needs to be addressed to foster a healthy workforce and continue growing nurse anesthesia.
As you get started on the episode, keep an ear out for these topics:
- Defining and explaining differences between incivility and bullying.
- The physical and emotional effects that bullying has on SRNAs.
- What a new CRNA has experienced as they’ve entered the profession.
- The challenges and barriers to changing these behaviors.
- What qualities are needed to be a good preceptor.
- How can we improve communication between SRNAs, preceptors and other administrators.
- Confronting problem CRNAs and how we can address the culture.
- What stresses does the preceptor have to deal with?
- Discussing possible solutions to these issues and how to change the thoughts of those displaying this behavior.
- What can you do when you see this happening?
Check it out the interview at the top of the page and use the timestamps to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
[3:40]– Meet the panel
[8:40] – What we’re talking about today
[9:45 ]– What is incivility and bullying?
[11:52] – Effects of bullying on SRNAs
[13:18] – Perspective from a new CRNA
[15:43] – Challenges to changing this behavior
[21:35] – Qualities of a good preceptor
[24:21] – Improving communication in school
[26:46] – Can you identify problem CRNAs?
[31:47] – Stress on the preceptor
[36:43] – What makes a great preceptor?
[40:01] – 1st vs 2nd year students
[43:01] – How do we change a bully’s thoughts?
[45:50] – What actions can you take in the moment?
[49:06] – Have you ever bullied anyone?
[54:56] – Final thoughts on this topic
To learn more about the Emma Kate fundraiser event: https://halosofthestcroixvalley.com/
“We’re packing our own parachutes for the future here. These people will be the ones doing our anesthesia, our kids’ anesthesia, our parent’s anesthesia potentially, and if we don’t make good CRNAs, we’re not going to protect the profession. And we’re not going to protect the society. We really just need to do a better job.”