Check out the timestamps below to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
On This Episode:
When Sharon visited the NCANA meeting in Wilmington, she sat through a lecture full of people with children and grandchildren that were panicked listening to the speaker. It was eye-opening and something we wanted to bring awareness to because it can be avoided. The person speaking that day was Emily Funk, DNP, CRNA and we asked her to come on to talk to us about the danger of button batteries and the harm they can cause almost immediately when ingested.
As we approach the holiday season and the shopping for toys that comes along with this time of the year, these batteries become pretty common around the house and can cause serious harm. As you’ll learn from Emily today, the internal damage can begin as soon as 15 minutes after ingested if they get lodged in the esophagus so it’s important to know what you can do if you find yourself or a patient in this situation.
Here are some of the things you’ll learn on this show:
- How she became aware of button battery ingestion and the heartbreaking story of a young girl that passed away. [6:06]
- What you should do if a kid swallows a battery. [10:54]
- What do anesthetists need to know about care. [14:02]
- Warnings and protections that are currently in place. [18:09]
- How to be more aware of what’s in the home. [20:00]
- What care is needed after the battery is removed? [26:11]
Check out the interview at the top of the page and use the timestamps to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
“You can’t wait hours because within 15 minutes if that battery is stuck in the esophagus, the damage is starting, so it needs to come out.”-Emily Funk, DNP, CRNA