Nurses are uniquely qualified for the responsibilities that come with holding a public office, which is why we’re seeing more and more campaigning. But did you ever think about running for sheriff? Caitlin Sepeda is a registered nurse in Massachusetts that’s doing just that and today she joins the show to tell us about her path to this point and why she hopes to make history.
Check out the timestamps below to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
On This Episode:
We’ve been seeing more and more nurses become active in local and state government, both through advocacy and through public service, but did you ever think you’d see a nurse run for sheriff?
That’s exactly what Caitlin Sepeda is doing in Massachusetts. After spending the last decade working as a nurse in corrections, Sepeda is running for sheriff of Hampshire County. That recent experience in has given her a unique insight into the challenges facing people in correctional facilities and she hopes to carry that into her new position. If successful, Sepeda will become the first nurse to hold this position in the United States.
Once we heard the news, we had to ask her to come on the podcast and learn more about this unique career path.
Here are some of the things you’ll learn on this show:
- How does a nurse end up running for Sheriff? (7:09)
- The difficult decisions that have to be made with the limited budget provided by the state. (12:43)
- What makes nurses so qualified for public office? (16:50)
- Details on the election she’s campaigning for. (19:45)
- How do you overcome the lack of law enforcement experience? (23:49)
- Why a new outlook and approach can benefit law enforcement. (26:59)
- The campaign budget she’s working with. (34:04)
- What it would mean to become the first nurse to hold a Sheriff position? (37:37)
Check it out the interview at the top of the page and use the timestamps to help you navigate through the many topics we discussed.
To learn more about the Emma Kate fundraiser event: https://halosofthestcroixvalley.com/
“Rehabilitation is the focus and who better than to helm an agency than someone who has rehabilitation and care and empathy as their core and their background.”-Caitlin Sepeda